I would like to thanks DJI for creating and v-nix.nl suppling this awesome machine! DJI is one of the bigger pioneers in the Drone business today.
Here we go.
The Inspire 1 v2.0 is the current DJI flagship drone. It comes in a “standard” version with a Zenmuse X3 camera or a Pro version with a Zenmuse X5 camera
DJI Inspire 1 Drone Specifications
|Dimensions||43.8 x 45.1 x 30.1 cm|
|Battery||4500 mAh LiPo 6S high voltage|
|Camera||X3 – 1/2.3” CMOS sensor, aspherical lens, 12 MP, 4K 24-30 fps video output|
|Flight Time||18 minutes|
|Control Range||2 km|
|Flight Speed||22 m/s|
Unboxing the Inspire 1
I could have done my own unboxing video but there are already so much out there. The one of AerialMediaPro’s is pretty good so here it is. Be aware that this unboxing video is of the v1.
The v2 has new propellor mounting and newer motors.
First thing what’s best to do out of the box is updating the firmwares.
Connect a tablet to the remote and power up the remote first, then power up the Inspire 1.
In the app check at the overall Status if a upgrade it required.
See that in my case there are updates for the Battery, Aircraft and the Camera. The controller i already upgraded via the App.
For now the Battery, Aircraft and the Camera can only be updated via a Micro SD card.
Updating the Firmwares
Step 1- Check Battery and SD Card Capacity
Ensure the Intelligent Flight Battery and Remote Controller have at least 50% power and there is at least 100MB of free space on the SD card.
Step 2- Prepare the Firmware Update Package
1. Download the firmware update package from the official DJI website .
2. Insert the SD into your PC. Extract the all downloaded files into the root directory of the SD card. Remove the SD card from your PC and insert it into the SD card slot on the Inspire 1 camera.
Step 3- Update the Battery, Aircraft and the Camera firmware.
1. Connect your mobile device to the remote controller, power on the remote controller, and launch the DJI GO app to obtain information about firmware update progress. Confirm you wish to update within the app to continue. Note the upgrade will begin automatically after power cycling the aircraft if the DJI Pilot app is not launched.
2. It will take approximately 25 minutes to complete the firmware update. During the upgrade process, DJI Go app will display update progress and gimbal will sound a fast beeping sound(D-D-D-D). A message windows of “Upgrade Completed, Aircraft will restart in 5 seconds” will prompt in DJI Go app and gimbal will sound a slow beeping sound (D–DD) to indicate the update is complete, aircraft will then restart automally. Note that user will need to manually power cycle the aircraft if DJI Go app is not launched prior to the upgrade.
3. Try update again if gimbal sounds a long beeping sound.
Now check in the App again if all updates were done correctly. There will also be a update log file on the Micro SD card.
If you have more batteries, swap the battery and start the process again.
Sample of log file:
========== 2014.01.01 00:00:29 remo-con disconnect======
========== 2014.01.01 00:00:04 remo-con disconnect======
========== 2014.01.01 00:00:06 remo-con disconnect======
If you want to see this in a video, here you go.
Some good instructional video’s on how to start up and fly properly.
Complete playlist of all DJI Inspire 1 instructional video’s.
DJI GO Simulator
Also a great way to practice flying your new Inspire 1 is to use the build in Simulator!
In the DJI Go app there is a simulator for the inspire 1 and other DJI drones!
You can use the controller from the inspire 1 or phantom with this app and it’s pretty nifty to use. So before you new DJI drone users start to fly for real you might want to check out the simulator first!
Now that you are done with all the video’s and got familiar with your new Inspire one you can take it to the outside world.
Obey the rules
Know your rules of your country when operation a Drone. In the Netherlands there are a few.
I have been flying the Inspire 1 now for a few months, 12 flights were done.
Total of 10 Kilometers have been covered.
This drone flies like champ, compared to a Phantom 2 or 3 this is a rock solid platform.
The Inspire 1 can take much more wind compared to the Phantoms but that’s due to it’s bigger size and propellers.
The camera and gimbal are awesome, the 360 degree option is very nice, compared to Phantoms where this is not possible at all.
Having the possibility to upgrade the camera to a X5 or higher is also a thing to remind yourself when you’re looking at this drone.
I changed the remote controller config so i can switch with a flick of a button how the camera moves when you use the dial button.
This makes one man flying very easy to do. If you want better shots use the second remote and let some one else control the camera.
Set C2 to Gimbal Pitch/Yaw
Set C1 to Reset Gimbal Yaw